Saturday, January 6, 2024

Companion Set

The D&D Companion Set was released in spring/summer 1984, following publication of the revised D&D Basic and Expert Sets, the previous year.  Higher level play was to be covered in the D&D Master Set (for character levels 26-36).


D&D Companion Set (1984).  Cover illustration "The Sword of Thornbane" by Larry Elmore, also used for "The Tainted Sword" (1992) by "DJ Heinrich" (Dory Watry and Kevin Stein)


The two-volume boxed set included a 32-page "Players Companion" and a 64-page "Dungeon Masters Companion"

The upcoming set was discussed in a preview article by Frank Mentzer "And Then There Were Three" in Dragon #84 (April, 1984),* in which Douglas Niles and Garry Spiegle are thanked for their special work on the project.

*also printed in Imagine #17 (August, 1984).  Part 2 of the preview did not appear in Dragon, although was published in Imagine #18 (September, 1984)

Editing was by Anne C. Gray, who also worked on the Basic, Expert, and Master DM's books, as well as the Immortals Rules (as Anne Gray McCready).

Interior illustrations were by Larry Elmore and Jeff Easley, for a consistent look and feel with the revised Basic and Expert Sets (1983).

The dedication in the preface was to Brian Blume "who, with Gary Gygax, founded this company and made it grow."



Players Companion: Book One

The Players Companion contains new options for characters, including new armor and weapons, new rules for unarmed combat, and new information on character classes and subclasses.

In addition, there is new information on human and demi-human social structures in the D&D campaign world, including demihuman clan governance and relics.



Dungeon Masters Companion: Book Two

The Dungeon Masters Companion provides rules for high-level campaigns, including dominions, tournaments, mass combat, and the cosmology of the D&D multiverse.

In addition, there are sections covering new procedures, monsters, treasure and three mini-adventures showcasing the rules for tournaments, unarmed combat, and mass combat.


Reception:

A contemporary fan's reaction was captured in Polyhedron #22:

Q. When I recently went to my local hobby shop to purchase the D&D Companion Set, I was quite disturbed to see that it was designed to go with the new D&D Basic and Expert Sets.  I have flipped through my friend's new Basic and Expert sets and found them very incompatible with my second edition sets.  It follows that the new D&D Companion Set will also be incompatible with my edition of the rules systems.  So in order to upgrade my rules, I would have to buy two new boxes and the higher priced D&D Companion Set.  Needless to say I feel that this is quite redundant and absurd.  I don't feel that I should have to buy revised editions of what I already have to get the Companion Set promised years ago.  What are your opinions on this?

A. There are very few rules that have been changed in the revised editions; the new sets ARE compatible with the old (that is, the "old red box"; the "blue book" edition is primitive in comparison).  I closed some loopholes, and added more detail on some subjects, but was careful to change very little of the existing rules - providing more guidelines instead.

You asked for my opinions.  Personally, I think you should (a) not buy revised BASIC; it's designed for beginners, and you have the old editions; (b) do buy the revised EXPERT; I put a lot of new things into it, and I don't think you'll be disappointed (and the reviews agree); and (c) do buy the COMPANION set; it's not a rehashing of old stuff.  I made it the best I could, combining my ten years of role playing experience (egad, has it really been that long?) with the spirit and foundation of the original game.


*          *          *


The Companion Set was released on the 10th anniversary of the D&D game, and over the next several weeks, I'll be taking an in-depth look at the rules therein.

No comments:

Post a Comment