Sunday, May 19, 2024

Interview with Rob Kuntz: Part Two

A continuation of our interview with gaming luminary, Rob Kuntz (click here for Part One):


Q. The article "Swords and Sorcery - In Wargaming" (Wargamer's Digest, vol. 1, no. 7, May 1974) recounts a session refereed by yourself, in which Gary's legendary characters Mordenkainen, his companion Bigby, the Lords Yrag and Felnorith, and the Bishop Raunalf explore the 4th level of a dungeon.  Was this El Raja Key, or another dungeon?

This was an adjacent area in the precincts of Castle El Raja Key that was made into WG5 Mordenkainen’s Fantastic Adventure and then in 2005 as Maure Castle.  It has a twisting history since 1973, mainly due to my efforts to retain its copyright and unlike Gary who lost the vast majority of his to TSR.


Q. The "El Raja Key Archive" (2016) is a veritable treasure trove of source documents from the proto-D&D games that you ran for Gary and others.  The first three levels of El Raja Key were at one time planned to be released in a special collector's edition.  Is this still in the works?

One-time.  I have always intended to get a lot of projects done, but bigger ones?  They have come and gone due to my ability to either fund them or not.  I will instead be looking into finishing Maure Castle for 1E and possibly 5E or Pathfinder, as well.  Otherwise Castle El Raja Key 2 has been in development as Castle Perilous for a CRPG offering for a few years.


"The Return of Robilar" (2023) by Robert J. Kuntz


Q. "The Return of Robilar" (Aug, 2023) covers material dating back to 1973.  Did you run Roblar as an NPC when you became the co-DM of the Greyhawk campaign?  Has any of the material been previously published, and if so, where?

Robilar was used as a foil by Gary to play-test new levels and adventures he was creating with us as co-DMs.  Otherwise he was retired up and until the Temple of Elemental Evil debacle which was the last time (1977) I played him.  The Return of Robilar is the first comprehensive information revealed on him since the Rogue’s Gallery.


Q. When Dave Arneson moved to Lake Geneva in early 1976, he ran a game for Gary and yourself at the Dungeon Hobby Shop, in which your famous characters Mordenkainen and Robilar explored the City of the Gods.  Was anyone else involved in that game?  Did Dave ever run another game for Gary and/or yourself?

No.  It was Gary as Mordenkainen and me as Robilar.  Dave never ran another game for us.  I did write up the adventure and it appeared in an early Oerth Journal edited by Erik Mona:  Journey to the City of the Gods, and with DM commentary by Dave.  That story is being included in my complete adventure tales.


Q. You helped Gary design "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" as the D&D tournament dungeon for Origins II, held July 23-25, 1976.  Was this adventure influenced by the City of the Gods?  Do you recall if the original City of the Gods was supposed to represent a grounded alien spacecraft, or was it an alien outpost of some kind?

I believe it was influenced by a Brain Aldiss tale, would have to check on that.  So, unlike CotG, which is a very large ship, the Barrier Peaks one was smaller.  Gary asked me to create the technology/robots and such for it, so that’s where my creation lies in it.


"Deities & Demigods" (1980) by Jim Ward with Rob Kuntz


Q. We were all saddened to learn of the recent passing of Jim Ward, with whom you collaborated on Supplement IV "Gods, Demigods & Heroes" as well as "Deities and Demigods".  Do you have any personal reminiscences or anecdotes that you can share about working with Jim on those projects?

I was in the middle of crafting LIVING ROOMS when I heard the unfortunate news of his passing.  I immediately dedicated that work to him.  I could go on about the early days with Jim, him and I driving to four institutes while researching Gods, Demigods & Heroes:  two university libraries:  Whitewater and Madison; Milwaukee Public Library; and the Art Institute of Chicago.

Jim and I would play marathon games on Saturdays when he was not involved playing Poker with his buddies in Elkhorn.  We’d rotate between DMing: Castle Greyhawk 2 when he played and Dragonkind when it was my turn.  Our longest stint was perhaps 20 hours!  He was really wrapped up in playing in Greyhawk, the first (with my brother) to really investigate my Bottle City level; and (again with my brother) to challenge the Temple of the Latter Day Elder Ones, and Fomalhaut (all Lovecraftian tie-ins that I am currently pulling the threads together for a work entitled Mythos vs. Medieval Man, wherein Jim will be credited as an early play-tester).  He also had a relationship (Bombadil, his PC) with a strange time traveler named Cosmodius.

He was so intent on finding out more and more that he took lots of chances in the game, Jim being a gambler at heart.  We even concluded a part of his adventure when we took a break at the Next Door Pub (best pizza I’ve ever had to date) whereat he kept asking me questions about what Bombadil was doing.  So, I devised a system on the spot and during our meal to forward the matter satisfactorily.

James was an inspired game designer and writer whose contributions to the industry were impactful.  He will be sorely missed.


Q. You've discussed how "Kalibruhn" was originally slated to be published as Supplement V, and have previously considered publishing it as a retro-supplement.  Do you still have any plans, along these lines?

It’s rather divided.  The supplement was never slated for publication.  I had been compiling parts for the campaign and was thinking about submitting it but then Supplement IV was announced as the last supplement, so that ended that angle. No immediate plans for releasing it.  It’s a historical oddity which I’d rather update at length, but then it would put me on a path to detailing my world.  The latter was never my intent; and I don’t believe the market needs another world, anyway.  The ms parts were included in the El Raja Key Archive but that’s only a part of something larger that I’d consider doing to eventually complete it.   Like I said, I am rather divided on this since different factions of people are divided, as well as they should be.  It’s an ancient artifact which perhaps will remain that way so as to not disappoint them or me.


"Gargax's Glorious Gewgaws" (2023) by Robert J. Kuntz


Q. "Gargax's Glorious Gewgaws" (Feb, 2023) is a fascinating blend of historical insights and useful gaming material.  I'm very interested in your discussion of how certain films, such as Seven Faces of Dr. Lao and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad influenced the early game.  What more recent films do you think are inspirational in the same spirit?

Well.  I was noting what influenced Gary’s mindset in creating and playing D&D back then.  It’s a very wide subject which I lightly, but solidly, touched upon.  I will, and do, expand upon the subject in various upcoming works including my memoirs.


Thank-you, Rob, for taking the time to share your insights and reminiscences!

For those of you interested in meeting Rob Kuntz, he will be a special guest at ARNECON 2 (October 4-6, 2024).

No comments:

Post a Comment